The Earth is Round, Don't Be Square


Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mo' records


Just picked these up on a day-trip out of town...

I've only listened to Zappa's "Hot Rats" and Astrud's "Now", so far. Astrud Gilberto's "Now" is the gem of the digs. Beautiful album loaded with great Afro-Brazilian percussion, some great rhythm guitar work on a few tracks, and Astrud's comforting voice. I'm always hunting for Brazilian records and the Astrud along with the "Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas" comp (can't wait to listen to it) ended a little drought finding ones I was interested in.

The "Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas" piece is a compilation of super rare Brazilian psyche/funk nuggets, compiled primarily from 45's I believe. Dude who put it together, Joel (pronounced "jo-EL") Olveira, runs a shop called Tropicalia in Furs out of the East Village section of NYC. I'm actually planning on making a trip up to NYC in a month or so, you already know one place I'm heading!

I also picked up two 45's: Bobby Byrd's "I Know You Got Soul" and Afrique's "Soul Makossa". It's my 3rd copy of the monster Manu Dibango cover by Afrique. Messed up my copy of the OG LP (I don't sweat it though, life goes on) and my other 45rpm copy is scratched.

PS...As of the end of this post, I finised listening to Herbie's "Fat Albert Rotunda" and I'm currently running back the Astrud....Worked on two beats today, one for my homie and another for my EP. A heavy afro-funk burner and a Spoonie G assisted instro. Holla.

No comments: