The Earth is Round, Don't Be Square


Saturday, January 1, 2011

NYE Finds

First off, Happy New Years. That said, I had a great day to send off 2010 and enter this new decade. Not partying, but doing some digging earlier in the day. I had been wanting the Kraftwerk "Computer World" album for the longest. Not a hard record to find, but one that had eluded me until yesterday. First pressing too, so that satisfies the smaller collector part of my wax habit! The Coltrane is amazing, free, spiritual, fulfilling; those are my adjectives to describe it. Herbie's "Sextant" is incredible as well. I accidentally listened to the whole A side on 45 and didn't realize it! Now I have to go back and re-listen, correctly, haha. And last but not least, Kurtis Blow's classic street jam, "The Breaks". That's hip hop. Pulled some nice 45's too. I stepped out of my usually funk/afro/soul/jazz zone and picked up a French rock 45 (Joel Dayde) which is pretty dope. Nice fuzzed out lead guitar over a great groove. I can dig it. The best of the bunch is the Gary Burton Quartet 7" that has killer A & B sides. Some "out there" but funky joints with great use of the Vibes.



and the lil homies:

Curtis Mayfield - The Makings of You b/w (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Gonna Go (Curtom)

The Whatnauts - Message From A Black Man b/w Dance To The Music (A&I Records)

Ella Andall and Shorty Vibration International - Hello Africa Pt. 1& 2 (Charlie's Records)

Yambu - Sunny b/w Caballo (Montuno)

Joel Dayde - Mammy Blue b/w You've Got Freedom (Riviera) <---Spanish Pressing

The Gary Burton Quartet - Fleurette Africaine b/w General Mojo Cuts Up (RCA/Victor)

No comments: